November 14: Square Pegs/Round Holes, the Right Fit for the Right Student (SPARK)

spark

Come to this free workshop that is open to anyone in the local community. Lisa Stankus, Director of Road to Learning, will be presenting on the topic of dyslexia – What is it? Who does it affect? How can you help? Approximately 80% of the population fits into round holes, but what about the other 20%? Do you have a struggling student but cannot quite put your finger on the problem? Could your student be one of the “square pegs” in the 20% group? Ms. Stankus shares the latest brain research regarding dyslexia, as well as classroom strategies that promote success for all learning styles. Come and learn how the dyslexic brain thinks, experience what it is like to be the square peg trying to fit into the round hole and participate in hands-on simulations depicting a dyslexic’s struggles in the classroom setting.

Lisa Stankus serves as the Director of Road to Learning, as well as the Special Education Coordinator for the Quentin Road Christian School. She graduated with her BA from Northern Illinois University and has been teaching over 25 years in both special and regular education. Please check out the Road to Learning website at http://www.roadtolearning.org for more information on Ms. Stankus and the Road to Learning center.

Where/When
Monday, November 14, 2016
Walter R. Sundling Junior High School
1100 N. Smith Street, Palatine, IL 60067
7:00pm – 8:30pm

SPARK meetings are designed to give parents information to help them in their current and future steps of the journey of parenting children with unique needs. At SPARK we realize the importance of providing:

  • Relevant programs and resources related to special education
  • Opportunities to network, receive support and help
  • Connections for parents with outside sources

The programs can also be found on the District 15 website: www.ccsd15.net.
If you would like to be contacted by or connected with SPARK, contact Sarah Winter (sarahwintertj@comcas.net)

SPARK is a Northwest Suburban Council of PTA committee serving families of children
with special needs in Community Consolidated School District 15 and beyond.
SPARK is proud to be in partnership with PTA!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.
You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>
*
*