Senate Bill 16 is again on the House legislative agenda, BUT NOT FOR A VOTE.
All of you know the potential impact that SB 16 could have on the amount of General State Aid our suburban schools receive. Late last Friday a notice was posted scheduling SB 16 for a SUBJECT MATTER ONLY hearing in the Appropriations – Elementary & Secondary Committee on Tuesday, November 18, at 3:00 PM in the Capitol.
In addition to providing an opportunity for interested persons to testify in person either in support or opposition to SB 16, the General Assembly also provides an opportunity for testimony to be submitted by people who are unable to attend a hearing. If you are interested in making sure your opinion is part of the official record for SB16, here are the steps for submitting written testimony:
- Go to www.ilga.gov
- Scroll down the page and click on GA Dashboard (in red ink along the left side of the page)
- Click on the Register icon and fill in your information (registration is recommended but not required*)
- Click on House, Committee Hearings, and then on the “Month” tab
- Click on the piece of paper icon to the right of the listed hearing (November 18th, Appropriations- Elementary & Secondary Education)
- Click on Create witness slip
- Fill out the form
- In the “subject matter” portion click “opponent” (assuming you are an opponent)
- Under “Testimony” you can have your written comments supplied to all committee members. This is optional. Interestingly, they do not accept emailed testimony. You can fax your written statement to 217-557-2165 or you may mail it to Illinois State House, Room 426, 401 S. Second Street, Springfield, IL 62706. Make sure that your written testimony is clearly marked at the top of the page: SB16 Testimony, and your name.
- Fill in verification code
- Click the box to accept the terms
- Click Submit
*If registered, you can go back and adjust your witness slip. If you do not register, once it is submitted you may not change your witness slip.
If you have additional questions about the process, please visit the FAQ page at: http://my.ilga.gov/Home/FAQ .